Monday, February 16, 2009

You Be The Judge

Today was the start of another season of NASCAR. I have never been to a race even though there is a track here in the Dallas Ft Worth area. I enjoy the sport. It seems to me there are many good people involved giving a tremendous amount of money to charity each year. How is that a bad thing? Here is where I have a problem. I have heard it said NASCAR is just a low class redneck sport. To those people I ask have you read about the people involved? Do you have a clue what you are really talking about? Most of the teams have several college educated people at all levels participating. Are there "rednecks" involved both on the teams and in the stands? Without question just like in 99% of all the other sporting events I can think of. To make a blanket statement like that shows your lack of any knowledge of what you are talking about. Maybe you should educate yourself on the subject besides what is wrong with a little "redneck"? Gretchen looks pretty hot over there on that sidebar if you ask me!

Here is a funny from last week. I was coming into Louisiana and was pulled into the scale. There was a truck in front of me and it pulled up on the scale. There is a sign that the scale master uses to signal each driver what to do and the sign said "Pull Up" easy enough right? This truck sat there for TWO minutes folks! I thought the thing must be broke down. At this point the officer came out of the scale and signaled the driver to get out of the truck which he did and they started to walk back to where I was. I thought great they are coming to tell me they guy is broke down. When the two got back to me the officer signaled me to roll down my window which I did. He said "Driver what does that sign say"? I said it says Pull Up. He said "can you tell this driver what its says"? I said sure it says Pull Up. The officer asked me what does that mean to which I said Pull Up!
The driver looked at the officer and I swear to god said sir I am not from around here! LOL!! The guy went back to his truck pulled up a few inches and the officer hit the Stop sign then within two seconds hit the go ahead. I pulled up and he hit the stop sign told me to roll down my window and said over the PA what a dumb ass which we both got a good laugh and I drove off.


And just a little something from the weekend. I love being outside!! Have a wonderful Monday!! Remember smile it makes em wonder what you are up to!!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

It's a stereotype, and there's one for most sports. I think it's silly to drive around in circles. I also think it's silly to try for five hours to put a ball in a hole - for more reasons than one.

Most people think Nascar fans are rednecks because of their general fan base (which yes, are "rednecks,") just like most golfers are "yuppies."

Both Nascar and the NFL do a lot for several charities, but their fans can act like complete idiots.

Nascar would probably prefer their stereotypical fan weren't a mullet-having, cut-offs wearing guy with 10 kids in nappies at Wal-Mart, but...

People will judge anything they can. My cousin's wife put her boys in soccer instead of football because even those two crowds are different - socioeconomically speaking.

People go with what they identify with.

truckdriver_sefl said...

Your comment is true in some ways for sure. I deal with it in my profession all the time. Most people think truck drivers are all dirty smelly people who could not do anything else with their life than pop pills to stay awake and pop pills to sleep. They think they have no talent for anything else. Sure there are some truck drivers who are real idiots just look at the story on this post that guy was either one who is on drugs can't read or all of the above. There are idiots in every profession. I can think of a lawyer or two right off the top of my head. Most of us have families at home with children we send to college. Some of us write books some songs. One of my favorite Alan Jackson songs Red Like A Rose was written by a truck driver. Some of us can take a decent picture from time to time or we can even write a poem when we put our mind to it.

I think my point is and I also know you understand people need to take the time to educate themselves before they make blanket statements that cover a whole subject.